Upgrade Ubiquiti AP Firmware
This article assumes you to know how to gain access to the Unifi Controller and are familiar with the interface.
The current controller software as of 2/3/2017 is 5.4.9 and is set to automatically upgrade firmware in Settings > Site > Automatically upgrade firmware.
If automatic upgrading isn’t working and manually clicking Upgrade Firmware in the controller interface also isn’t working do the following:
- Click Menu
- Add Files
- Choose the new firmware
- Copy the path in the bar at the top (which will be an HTTP path with your IP:port/filename.bin)
- Click the AP you want to upgrade in the Unifi controller
- Click Configuration
- Click Manage Device
- In the “Custom Upgrade” section paste the path
- Click Custom Upgrade and confirm
The upgrade will take several minutes to complete and will disconnect all connected devices. Upgrading more than 4-5 at once will cause the upgrades to fail. If you wait at least 30 seconds between each firmware upgrade you can upgrade 5 APs with no problems. I did 10 on my second run rapidly and all failed. I assume this is either a limitation of the HTTP server or the controller that’s brokering the upgrade.
Upgrade firmware without a controller:
- SSH to the AP
- Type “upgrade http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/126.96.36.19987/BZ.qca956x.v188.8.131.5287.170609.0803.bin” (copy the URL from the web download)
- Type syswrapper.sh upgrade2